Pregnancy is one of the most exciting times – and a great time to strengthen your relationship with your partner. From talking about your hopes and dreams for the future, to roles and responsibilities, there is no better time to reconnect. However, it is important to balance things out with affection, fun and romance. Introducing Date Night provides the perfect opportunity to spend some quality (and fun) time together. With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, there’s no better time.
Consider making Date Night a regular occurrence. Romance is not just for Valentine’s Day after all! With a little bit of creativity you can make Date Night truly memorable, during and after pregnancy.
Making time for romance: The benefits of Date Night during pregnancy
Between doctors appointments and adjusting to the tremendous physical/emotional changes that come with pregnancy, it can be easy to let romance take a backseat. For some, these changes can put a strain on the relationship, for others, this can bring you closer together. Either way, prioritising quality time to focus on each other is so important and can have so many benefits:
- Combat stress – Taking time out together can help you reconnect. Find ways to relax and unwind that feels good for both of you.
- Boost intimacy – Redefine what it means to be close to your partner during this time. Pregnancy can be a whirlwind of hormones and emotions, so don’t overlook the power of intimate conversation and closeness.
- Strengthen your bond – Taking the time to talk and communicate with one another is crucial during this time. Find ways to reassure and support each other, while making new memories.
- Maintain normalcy – Regular date nights can help you maintain a sense of stability and normalcy, amidst all the excitement and change.
You can still have fun and keep the romance alive with a baby bump! We have pulled together some of our favourite date night ideas to inspire you this Valentine’s Day and beyond:
Creating romance at home: A cosy night in
If you love to stay in and snuggle up together, or if you are on a budget, there are plenty of fun and romantic things to do to make your night special at home! Get creative, set the scene, keep phones out of sight and you are set to have an amazing night in.
- A cosy movie night in. Pick your favourite film or tv shows and create an at-home movie night experience. Set up a cosy space and get the snacks in.
- Baking together. Try your hand at something new – find a recipe and bake a cake or brownies together!
- At home picnic. Pick a selection of her favourite foods based on cravings and set up a blanket on the floor and have a romantic at home picnic. Just changing your perspective and mixing up your usual dinner setting can make all the difference for a fun night in!
- Games night. Grab some different board games, cook your favourite easy meal and get to games night!
What to wear:
Heading out for Date Night
If you’re a bit of a foodie you can’t go wrong with a romantic dinner at your favourite restaurant. Pick wisely and choose somewhere that is both pregnancy-friendly and suits both of your cravings. Sometimes getting dressed up and out of the house is just what you need!
- Dine out at your favourite restaurant. Consider a sentimental location, or somewhere to meet those pregnancy cravings!
- Breakfast out – never underestimate the power of a good breakfast! Turn ‘date night’ into ‘date morning’. Get dressed up and make it a special event.
- Trip to the movies. Go old-school, grab a selection of your favourite snacks and treats and pick a great film to snuggle up to.
- Go on a baby moon. Turn date night into a long weekend. Get away for a short staycation and explore somewhere different!
What to wear:
Exploring the great outdoors
If you’re a couple who love the outdoors, there are plenty of fun and romantic activities to try. Staying active is an important part of your pregnancy, but be sure to exercise with caution, wear supportive clothing and stay hydrated if heading outside!
- Go for a walk in nature. Getting some fresh air and reconnecting with the outdoors can make all the difference. It’s not only incredibly calming and grounding, but provides a great opportunity to walk and talk.
- Take a picnic in the park. It may not be weather appropriate, so this might be one to bank for spring or summer, but a picnic outside is a lovely way to spend quality time together.
- Visit the beach. If you’re lucky enough to live near the coast, take the opportunity to breathe in that sea air and experience the soothing sound of the waves. A low impact walk with your loved one can be energising and uplifting.
What to wear:
Taking a break – time to relax
As an expecting couple, you should consider indulging in relaxing activities to help you both unwind and reconnect. This is incredibly beneficial during pregnancy, helping to combat stress and promote calmness and relaxation.
- Treat yourselves to a couple massage. Look for a pre-natal massage specialist who can cater to your needs
- Book a treatment – go for a manicure, facial or a foot/leg massage. These treatments are usually safe for pregnancy.
- Book a pregnancy yoga class. Practising breathing and moving your body has so many benefits during pregnancy, but doing this together can help bring you closer together.
- At home pamper session. Stay in instead and set the mood with candles and soft music, run a warm bath with calming bath salts, from the likes of Hatch Mama Beauty, or add a few drops of pregnancy-safe essential oils.
What to wear:
A date with a difference
If you want to try something different or unique, consider booking an activity to keep you both entertained, learn new skills, or even create a memento which you can hold on to.
- Painting – you could take an art class, or try your hand at mug / plate painting. You could create something to keep to remember this special time.
- Cooking class – practice making family-friendly foods to prep your skills as a new mother or father. Or try making your favourite foods and indulge in some of your pregnancy cravings.
- Visit a local art gallery or museum. Learn something new and uncover what interests you both – this is a fantastic way to get to know even more about each other and keep exploring your relationship.
- Book a pregnancy photoshoot. Capture this special moment in time with a couples shoot. You will remember these moments for years to come and will capture a memory you can look back on.
What to wear to an art class or cooking class:
What to wear: to a couples maternity photoshoot:
To make the most of Date night during pregnancy, it’s important to communicate, be open-minded and embrace new experiences together. With so many different date night ideas to try, you can build the perfect night based on what you need as individuals and as a couple. This is the perfect time to make new memories together, enrich your relationship and lay further foundations for a happy and fulfilling life together as a new family.
Just remember, take the opportunity to reconnect, have fun with it and deepen your bond, whatever kind of Date Night you choose! Browse the full Date Night Edit here.